In Costa Rica there is a great appreciation for horses that began with the colonization and the development of activities such as agriculture and livestock. This has continued to be part of the country’s cultural traditions, and the San Carlos area, known for its cattle ranches, preserves these deep equestrian roots.
Enjoy the early hours of the morning touring the forest, the view of the Arenal Volcano, and a spectacular waterfall up close – these are some of the advantages of horseback riding in La Fortuna in San Carlos. Horseback riding in the mountains is an adventure into unimaginable places and landscapes.
Tours offer the experience of saddling a horse and riding a Costa Rican horse with a guide who will take you for a pleasant journey. The route is delightful with majestic views of the volcano and passages through dense wooded trails of the area, where you can see a great diversity of flora and fauna native to our region such as frogs, butterflies, birds, orchids, and much more. Additionally, there are a lot of rivers and streams where you can cool off from the heat and take incredible photos to remember your unique experience. Those looking for something different can take a night tour during a full moon, or learn during a ride about exotic and medicinal plants.
An excursion by horseback offers many benefits and it is not necessary to be an experienced rider. It is recommended that the horses are assigned according to your experience for this activity.
For a horseback riding tour, it is recommended to bring:
- Insect repellent
- Walking shoes
Important tips for safety:
- Wear long pants, strong shoes, and sunscreen. Use a helmet.
- Do not yell or make sudden movements near the horses, it can scare them. They respond best if the person riding is kind and at the same time uses firmness.
- When riding, watch where you are going to avoid hitting tree branches or other obstacles.
- Test the adjustment of the stirrups to avoid discomfort.
- It is not recommended to ride through the streets, but if you have to go along one during the tour, ride on the right side of the street.
- Confirm that the tour company has experienced and safe guides in the event of an accident.
Important: To check the companies that have a tourism certificate or are affiliated with the Costa Rican Tourism Board (ICT), go to www.visitcostarica.com.